Welcome to First Thoughts, a series of devotionals covering the entire New Testament in one year! We’re inviting you to spend five minutes a day, five days a week, digging a little deeper into God’s word by reading one chapter of the New Testament each day. Please join us on this journey through the Word!
5 minutes a day: If you’re not currently reading the Bible, start with 5 minutes a day. This reading plan will take you through all 260 chapters of the New Testament, one chapter per day. The gospels are read throughout the year to keep the story of Jesus fresh all year.
5 days a week: Determine a time and location to spend 5 minutes a day for 5 days a week. It is best to have a consistent time and a quiet place where you can regularly meet with the Lord.
5 ways to dig deeper: We must pause in our reading to dig into the Bible. Below are 5 different ways to dig deeper each day. These exercises will encourage meditation. We recommend trying a single idea for a week to find our what works best for you. Remember to keep a pen and paper ready to capture God’s insights.
- Underline or highlight key words or phrases in the Bible passage. Use a pen or highlighter to mark new discoveries from the test. Periodically review your markings to see what God is teaching you.
- Put it into your own words. Read the passage or verse slowly, then rewrite each phrase or sentence using your own words.
- Ask and answer some questions. Questions unlock new discoveries and meanings. Ask questions about the passage using these words: who, what, why, when, where, or how. Jot down some thoughts on how you would answer these questions.
- Capture the big idea. God’s Word communicates big ideas. Periodically ask, “What’s the big idea in this sentence, paragraph, or chapter?”
- Personalize the meaning. When God speaks to us through the Scriptures, we must respond. A helpful habit is personalizing the Bible through application. Ask, “How could my life be different today as I respond to what I’m reading?”
© 2005 by Discipleship Journal. All Rights Reserved. The 5x5x5 Bible Reading Plan materials crafted by Bill Mowry. The New Testament Bible Reading Plan developed by Mark Bogart and Peter Mayberry.